Friday 23 March 2007

The average life of an average boy in love

The average life of a student would have been a more appropriate title for this song as this is what it is mainly based upon such as ‘getting up at twelve and going back to sleep’. Following last weeks song of ‘No More Old Memories’ I’ve written a song which deals very much with the now, although the title of an average life opens the song up to more audiences. As with most of my songs the rhythm of this song was influenced by another, Yellow card ‘Ocean Avenue’, and so is sung in a similar style. The content follows more of the typical love story style songs such as Whetus and ‘Teenage Dirtbag’ as the song has a narrative following one boy’s love for his best friend who in the end notices someone else.

Yellow Card – ‘Ocean Avenue’



The average life of an average boy in love

Going out on the town with one hours sleep
Just so I can see you and not admit defeat
I’ll get up at twelve and go back to bed
This could be a night where I end up dying

Take you out onto the dance floor
For you’re my best friend who I adore
I hold you close as he stares from the bar
This is the moment where you go forever

I stare at you from across the hall
I notice you and your beautiful
He touches you, my world falls through
The average life of an average boy in love

Buy two drinks but they’re both for me
To drown my soul from this atrocity
To forget that I’m on my own in this din
And realise that loving you is such a sin

I closed my eyes to take the world away
To pretend that everything was going to be okay
You helped free me from my shy days
You always keep me from my shy ways

I’m better off with you, but you can’t say the same
I’ve tried to tell you, but you look the other way
I may be just a quiet boy, but I’m in love
And he can buy it all away today